UC Berkeley Summer Sessions
Make the best use of your summer 2020, deepen your knowledge of American education and culture, and build the foundation for studying abroad and your future career.
The prestigious UC Berkeley, the charming San Francisco Bay Area, and the world's high-tech hub Silicon Valley! UC Berkeley Summer Session is the best start for your U.S. college experience and the best destination for your summer 2020.
Curriculum ComponentClass Period: July 6 - August 14, 2020 (Summer Session D, six weeks)
Application Deadline: May 27 (estimated)
Application Qualification: College freshman or above, including high school graduate in summer
The English Proficiency Requirement: TOEFL 80, IELTS 6.5, CET4/6: 493
* Applicants who do not meet the English proficiency requirement may select courses only from the College Writing Program category, which may be counted as college credits as well.
VISA and Registration: Berkeley I-20, International student F-1 visa, registering at least five credit units
Courses: Business, Science, Humanities, Social Science, History, Geography, Environmental Science, Education, Law, Film & Media, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Arts, Music, Theater, Dance & Performance Studies, Foreign Languages, and College Writing Program, etc.
Curriculum Program Fees: Tuition, Enrollment Fee, one-time non-refundable Document Management Fee, and International Service Fee
* These fees are due directly to UC Berkeley
Application Process: Go online http://summer.berkeley.edu or consult with CFM counselor
Residential ComponentTrap yourself in your own room again after class when you have come to learn a different way of learning? Go out of the classroom, enhance your communication skills, experience American society and culture, serve and learn, soak up the Silicon Valley, bath in the Californian golden sunshine, and enjoy American leisure activities!
- The residential program is operated by CFM Educational Services, a partner of UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Education and Lawrence Hall of Science. CFM has accumulated extensive experience in providing credible international education and reliable student services since 1991 with many U.S. universities and organizations.
- Berkeley is an ethnically and culturally diverse campus offering a great summer opportunity to cultivate independent learning.
- Residential counselors are Berkeley senior students and will provide academic advising, cultural guidance, social learning, and safety supervision.
- The standard college dorm with integrated environment for college life, community, learning, and recreation ensures safety, security, and comfort.
- A thoughtful meal plan gives students flexibility to go for their choices of multicultural restaurants and/or economically prepare their own foods in addition to the standard canteen dining.
- The program organizes high-value excursions to let students enjoy California outdoors and cultural activities that are educational, enriching, friendship-building, and fun.
- Standard college dormitory (5-minute walk to campus) with 24-hour monitored security system and keyed lobby entrance, elevator, and room door.
- Double or triple occupancy
- Shared floor bathrooms and building kitchen appliances
- WiFi throughout campus & dorms
- Conveniently located across the street from campus and a few steps away from restaurants & shops.
- The program includes university meal plan with variety and multicultural options. Students can gather to eat, chat, and hang out, in the meantime enjoy the living/learning atmosphere.
- Students have their flexibility to decide how and what they eat for weekday breakfast and weekend meals. Restaurants of different varieties are conveniently located around the campus and nearby the apartment that are very accessible.
- Students can also prepare their own breakfast and midnight snack utilizing the refrigerator and microwave in each room that renders big savings and flexibility.
Social and Professional Enrichment
- Silicon Valley tech company visit & employee-guided info session
Program Organized Events & Activities
- Whitewater river rafting
- Canopy zip-lining
- Oakland Athletics baseball game
- SF or Berkeley excursion
- Theme park
- Stanford University and outlets shopping
- Tech Company visit
- Counselor hosted seminars on U.S. college & cultural experience, college or graduate school application, academic advising, etc.
- Group social events
Optional Self-Supported Events & Activities
- SF Union Square
- Big C hiking
- Berkeley Botanical Garden
- Berkeley Marina
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
Students who received admission from UC Berkeley for Summer Sessions 2020
- Summer Sessions Residential Program Application Form, Student Agreement Form
- Summer Sessions Admission Letter, I-20, Copy of passport, Resume
- Reservation Deposit
Check-out / Departure Date: August 14
Arrival and Departure Airport: San Francisco (SFO)
Including: SFO airport transportation, standard college dormitory, university weekday meal plan (Lunch & Dinner), refrigerator and microwave in each dorm room, linens, medical insurance, academic guidance, residential counselors/mentors, Silicon Valley tech company visit & guided information session, safety & security management, overseas emergency contact, class registration and international student orientations, high-value cultural and leisure activities throughout the programNot including: Weekday breakfast, weekend meals, airfare, F-1 visa fee, personal expenses, optional events and tours, and fees due directly to UC Berkeley including tuition, enrollment, document management and international service