The MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is designed to provide advanced training for teachers, administrators, or other professionals who work with language minority populations. This program can also enhance the credentials of K-12 teachers, prepare students for careers in post-secondary teaching in the United States or overseas, and serve as a foundation for doctorial-level studies.
Students who complete the MA in TESOL should be able to:
Demonstrate knowledge of the theory and practice of teaching English to speakers of a
Generate writing that demonstrates as advanced ability to analyze and synthesize.
Conduct original research.
Demonstrate awareness of how cultural factors affect second language acquisition.
- Specially designed program that allows students to complete all 10 TESOL graduate courses and earn their Master’s degree in approximately one year.
- Conditional admission: Without satisfactory TOEFL score, students still can be conditionally admitted by taking the ESL class concurrently with the TESOL graduate courses.
- No GRE score required to apply
- No specific majors or professional background required
- Scholarship available (Fall semester only)
- After graduation, the University can assist students to find the unpaid internship opportunities for their OPT (Optional Practical Training)
- Bachelor's Degree from a regional accredited university
- TOEFL iBT80/ IELTS6.5 (optional)
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 and above
- Students without satisfactory TOEFL scores will take the ESL class concurrently with the TESOL graduate courses
Fall semester begins in every August
Spring semester begins in every January
ENGL 5703 Teaching English as a Second Language
ENGL 5713 ESL Assessment
ENGL 6023 Composition Theory and Practice
TESL 6143 Reading for English Language Learners
ENGL 5023 Second Language Acquisition
ENGL 5723 Teaching People of Other Cultures
ENGL 6013 Structure of the English Language
ENGL 6863 TESL Practicum
ENGL 5083 Seminar in English Language
ENGL 6003 Linguistics for ESL Teachers