Established in 1841, Samford University is a comprehensive private university. The university is located in Birmingham, the largest city of the State of Alabama. In the 2014 report, Samford was ranked 3rd in Southern Regional Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
Samford University offers about 25 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs and 169 majors and minors in eight academic schools -- arts, arts and sciences, business, divinity, education, law, nursing and pharmacy. At Samford, the student-to-faculty ratio is a low 12:1. Samford professors' primary focus is on teaching and mentoring their students. They work closely with students and assist students individually toward their personal and professional goals!
In addition to its academic reputation, the university is also an integral part of Birmingham's arts and cultural scene. Samford provides a wide range of artistic and cultural opportunities and enjoys community partnerships with the Alabama Symphony, the Alabama Ballet, Opera Birmingham, SuperJazz and Birmingham Chamber Music Society, among others. It brings the students a life full of arts and cultural experience!
- Ranked 3rd in the South by U.S. News & World Report.
- The Princeton Review named Samford as a "Best Southeastern College."
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance has named Samford #63 of the top 100 best value private universities in the U.S.
- USA Today and Princeton Review Name SU One of Top 50 Best Value Private Schools
- Ranked in the top tier of national doctoral research universities by U.S. News & World Report
- Recognized by Princeton Review as one of the “Best Value Colleges” in 2010
- Ranks 27th among all national universities in a new results-based ranking by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity (CCAP) of Washington, D.C.. The results were published in Forbes magazine.
- Largest privately-supported institution of higher learning in Alabama
- Four campus professors have been named Carnegie Professor of the Year for Alabama since 1994.
- Selected annually for inclusion in Peterson's Competitive Colleges.
Campus and Location
Samford University is located approximately 5 miles south of downtown Birmingham in Homewood, Alabama's Shades Valley area. With more than 50 Georgian Colonial buildings set on a manicured 180-acre campus, Samford’s award-winning campus is often called one of the most beautiful campuses in America. Students will enjoy the serenity provided by a suburban campus that is only minutes away from the heart of Birmingham where it’s full of local museums, galleries, parks, gardens, music, sports and other entertainment options.
Birmingham used to be called the “Magic City” because the city was once the primary industrial center of the southern United States. Today, Birmingham has transformed itself into a medical research, banking and service-based economy, making it one of the most livable cities, with a vibrant downtown, a burgeoning loft community, a world-class culinary scene and more green space per capita than any other city in the nation! In addition, the Birmingham area serves as headquarters to one Fortune 500 company: Regions Financial, along with five other Fortune 1000 companies.
Click Samford University for more information